This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Travelling outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

The UK has reciprocal healthcare agreements with the non-EEA countries and territories listed on the following weblink:


If you're visiting any of these countries and need urgent or immediate medical treatment, it will be provided at a reduced cost or, in some cases, free.

The agreements do not cover the cost of returning you to the UK (repatriation) or routine monitoring of pre-existing conditions.

The range of medical services in these countries may be more restricted than under the NHS. You should ensure you have a valid private travel insurance policy when travelling to any country.

You'll be treated as if you were a resident of the country in question. Generally, these agreements cover UK nationals living in the UK. If you're not a UK national, you may still be covered for some reduced cost or free treatment if you ordinarily live in the UK. 

Please note:  If you're planning to live or work in one of the reciprocal agreement countries, the information in the link above  may not apply.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website